Subject: Re: boot problem
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/28/2002 21:03:17
Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Some nights I awaken, horrified, in a cold sweat...in a nightmare, I
> was using ed.

hehe, well. for simple editing, like just changing a line or two, or
doing some global replacements it's rather straightforward, I'd say.
I use ed from time to time in shell scripts, doing in-place editing,
instead of using sed, which is just a filter.  works excellently for
that purpose (I've also written service utilities which output ed
scripts which then get run thru ed to do operations on files, as a
kind of text-editing intermediate language, so to say.  Of course the
same principles can be applied to sed, awk or perl.)

--mkb