Subject: RE: boot problem
To: Robert Manna <robert@mail.alum.rpi.edu>
From: Linc Fessenden <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/27/2002 20:47:36
On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Robert Manna wrote:

> I set the enviroment variable as specified and got the following results:
>
> "/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot aborted.
> Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:"
>
> If I hit return I get the same message as before about creating a non-root
> account.  I presume this means I need to edit my rc.conf file.  However none
> of the commands work.  I can't use vi to edit the file, I cannot even access
> the man pages.  It simply returns command not found.
>
> Very confused,
> Robert

It is possible that your rc.conf has the configured option set to NO.. I
have actually had that happen to me once although I think it was on a
sparc install..  Anyway, drop into your shell and do a
mount -a
which will mount all your drives/partitions as indicated in the
/etc/fstab..  Then you'll be able to use vi/emacs/whatever to edit the
rc.conf.

--
-Linc Fessenden