Subject: Re: boot problem
To: Robert Manna <robert@mail.alum.rpi.edu>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/27/2002 20:26:38
On July 27, Robert Manna wrote:
> I have installed netBSD on my Alphastation 200 4/166.  However under the srm
> console when I do a boot command to the hardrive where I installed BSD to I
> get the following message.
>

> "Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:"
>
> If I hit return I get the next message.
>
> "We recommend creating a non root account and using su(1) for root access."
>
> Followed by a command prompt denoted by the # sign.  I suspect that the
> problem is in my boot command, do I need to attach some other flags to it?
> Can anybody help me out.  I realize that this is probably a simple problem,
> but I'm only a beginner.

  Your system is booting up into single-user mode...sounds like your
"boot_osflags" environment variable (in the machine's SRM monitor) is
set incorrectly.  You should be able to fix this problem quickly and
easily this way:

  Halt the machine to get to a ">>>" prompt...this is the SRM prompt.
Do this:

>>> setenv boot_osflags a

  Then upon resetting the machine (you can type "init" at the SRM prompt
to reset the machine) it should come up in multi-user mode.

       Good luck,
        -Dave