Subject: Re: DEC hardware question
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 07/19/2002 02:30:18
>> Can anybody tell me the make and model of a 10/100 NIC that would
>> work in an AlphaStation 200(4/166) running NetBSD?

> NetBSD supports busses in an machine independend way.  I.e.: If a
> device is supported, than it will work on _every_ machine that has
> this bus.

Well, that's the theory.  In practice, there have been problems,
particularly with PCI busses on big-endian machines (a lot of PCI
hardware assumes it's on Intel, ie, little-endian).  Fortunately(?),
the alpha is little-endian, so that particular problem won't bite, but
there may be others.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign