Subject: generic HBA error messages on 1.6beta2
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/25/2002 18:43:46
Hi folks,

We've got a Personal Workstation 600AU and have installed the
20020618-1.6_BETA2 snapshot from
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/alpha/snapshot/20020618-1.6_BETA2/
on it.  Seems to work fine so far but the kernel is spitting out the
following message in minute intervals:

sd0(isp0:0:0:0): generic HBA error

The disks on this channel (2x UW IBM DDRS plus 1x Seagate 4GB
something, all on the on-board HBA) seem to work ok, despite the
message.  The second disk (sd1) currently doesn't have a disklabel
(kernel also spits a message about that fact every now and then
but I think that's unrelated to the message above.)

Anybody encountered this or can enlighten me a bit?
Is it something to be afraid of?
JFYI, the machine's got a second HBA, an Adaptec U2W something (sorry,
I can't provide dmesg output since the kernel message buffer is
overwritten by now with those messages) with currently no targets
attached (the adapter was ripped from another alpha, so it generally
ought to be compatible.)  Besides, it's got a 600Mhz 21164 and 1.5GB
RAM and a VGA-style framebuffer (don't know which exactly, we use
it via serial console anyways).  Cabling etc. should be ok.
Any comments on the kernel message are welcome.

--mkb