Subject: Re: PC164 questions
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/19/2002 14:27:44
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 10:33:32PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Today arrived the ePayed PC164 board. Naked. No RAM, 533MHz CPU but no
> heat sink. I jumpered the board to 128 bit memory bus, threw in 4 x 16MB
> parity PS/2 SIMMs, mounted a heat sink, pluged a TGA2 in, keyboard, ATX
> PSU, powered it on and - nothing. Even the CPU didn't get warm. I
> noticed that unused CPU fan connector and there was somthing...

How exactly did you mount a heat sink?  The 21164 uses a very specific
heat sink design and I can't imagine any standard sink fitting nor
working working well.  The correct sink needs to be mounted using a new
grafoil gasket, the correct aluminum nuts on the studs that come out of
the CPU package, and the correct torque.

Also, are you sure you have the right CPU?  I know of 533MHz 21164PC
parts, but a 533MHz 21164A?  I wasn't aware they made those.  The AlphaPC
164 motherboard requires a 21164A CPU.

> How does the board detect the CPU fan? Is it enough to short the sense
> pin to GND? Or is a signal needed with a RPM proportional frequency?
>
> I also noticed that there is no clock crystal U34. Is it normal that
> this is missing? If not, is it a pure crystal or a complete quartz
> oscillator with TTL level output? Is it really 36.666MHz? Not 33.333MHz?

It's not normal that the oscillator would be missing.  I'm not sure you're
going to be able to get everything you need to make a board as stripped as
the one you have functional.

> How do I jumper the board to 533MHz? The manual stops at 433MHz. If I
> extrapolate the jumper settings I get 500MHz at "Out Out Out Out" = CPU
> int / ext 15 / 1. How do I get multiplicator 16?

I don't think you do; again AFAIK, the correct CPU for this board would be
a 500MHz 21164A.