Subject: PC164 questions
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/18/2002 22:33:32
Hi.

Today arrived the ePayed PC164 board. Naked. No RAM, 533MHz CPU but no
heat sink. I jumpered the board to 128 bit memory bus, threw in 4 x 16MB
parity PS/2 SIMMs, mounted a heat sink, pluged a TGA2 in, keyboard, ATX
PSU, powered it on and - nothing. Even the CPU didn't get warm. I
noticed that unused CPU fan connector and there was somthing...

How does the board detect the CPU fan? Is it enough to short the sense
pin to GND? Or is a signal needed with a RPM proportional frequency?

I also noticed that there is no clock crystal U34. Is it normal that
this is missing? If not, is it a pure crystal or a complete quartz
oscillator with TTL level output? Is it really 36.666MHz? Not 33.333MHz?

How do I jumper the board to 533MHz? The manual stops at 433MHz. If I
extrapolate the jumper settings I get 500MHz at "Out Out Out Out" = CPU
int / ext 15 / 1. How do I get multiplicator 16?
--

tschüß,
         Jochen