Subject: Re: Powersupply question.
To: Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 06/06/2002 06:22:46
Hi !

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Peter B wrote:
> I have an Digital AlphaStation 4/255 266 MHz that miss the power supply.
> I have looked into the hardware documentation of the machine (online). And it
> seems that of the four power connectors. The two first (J19) seems compatible
> with standard PC AT-supply. While the second two are GND & 3,3 Volt. Is that
> true?  (I assume VDD is +5V).

I assume, you can use a normal PC power supply here. This 2 connector-thing was
common in older PC mainboards also, i have an ASUS dual-pentium board here,
using the 3,3V-connector with this pinout also. As alternative, there is a PCI
card, which consists of just a heatsink and a regulator, to get the 3,3V there.

Does the alpha CPU need 3,3V? You can first try to just connect the P8 and P9
of your power supply, and if this doesn't work, you really need the ATX power
supply and have to create an adapter for it.

This "Open" <> "PowerGood" stuff doesn't matter. As long as you don't have
"Open" on power supply side and "Power Good" on Alpha side :)

So, no guarantee, but i saw this before (maybe even on AXPpci33, there is an
optional 3,3V-connector).

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/     Home Powered by: (Net|Open|Free)BSD IRIX NonStop-UX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX