Subject: Mozilla slowness (was Re: XalphaNetBSD multihead ?)
To: None <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: David Hopper <dhop@nwlink.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 05/16/2002 10:45:49
Well, to clarify the first post, I've updated all my packages to the
latest.  GIMP is quick on this PWS 600, even text manipulation, as is
Galeon; and I run a Gnome desktop where every app is quick and responsive.

But Mozilla RC1 is still unusable (I'll try AbiWord soon).  It's definitely
a monster, and takes a good four minutes to start up; once it does, typing
into textfields will lag by a half-second per keystroke.

I definitely get the sense that Mozilla is slow on other platforms because
of its interface (try running it on an early Mac or K6-2!).  Please correct
me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole point of XUL / XPToolkit such that an
interpreted language (XML) provides the interface elements?  This would
explain why Galeon (which uses Mozilla RC1 / Gecko within a "pure" non-XUL
gtk interface) runs quite well.  I don't think the XPToolkit developers
particularly had the Alpha in mind when it came to optimizing the codebase,
per se.

dhop