Subject: Re: X weirdness (TGA2, AS600, -current)
To: None <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/12/2002 10:13:43
Roland Dowdeswell said:

> On 1018504295 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> "Jarkko Teppo" wrote:
>>

>>chip/serial -numbers if needed. Oh yeah, I managed to get color, once.
>>With a .xinitrc containing only "exec xterm" and starting another xterm
>>with "xterm -bg red" gave me an xterm with red background.
>>After that all the other colors failed.

OK. After playing around with XFree86 4.2 built from sources a few
days ago and using the TGA driver I got as far as getting the stippled
background, mouse pointer and a crash/freeze. XF doesn't restore
wscons properly so I've rebooting a lot. A lot of "bad wsmouse event" errors.

Anyway, after pointing the symlink back to XalphaNetBSD (from the 1.5ZA
snapshot) I was now able to get color. Twm title bars were of the correct
color, and after trying a bit more I found out that it works OK for
the first non-black-or-white color. eg:
#echo "exec xterm" >.xinitrc
#startx
(in xterm)
#xsetroot -solid red (closer to grayish green)
#xsetroot -solid midnightblue (cyan (?) not blue anyway)
#xsetroot -solid blue (green tinted with blue)
#xterm -bg red (Gives an xterm with black background and black text)

(There's probably some sort of logic behind all of this :-)

> This is just an odd problem.  :-)  I'll try to dig up a colour map
> twiddling program that I posted to this list a while ago which
> allows you to individually change the colour map entries---that may
> help to narrow down the problems.

That would be greatly appreciated, I'm happy to get any help I can :-)

ps. anyone know what's the proper keyboard protocol for
/etc/X11/XF86Config ? Is it wskbd ?

--
jht