Subject: Re: X weirdness (TGA2, AS600, -current)
To: Jarkko Teppo <jarkko.teppo@er-grp.com>
From: Roland Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 04/10/2002 13:12:11
"Jarkko Teppo" wrote:

>I just recently got an Alphastation 600 with a TGA2. I installed 1.5.2,
>tried X and the console froze (white background, black text). Chanted
>my -current mantra for a while and upgraded to 1.5ZA.

Hmmm, I've never seen this one happen on my Powerstorm 3d30, but
currently my 8bit card isn't in my machine.  I'll plug it in in a
few hours and see if I can duplicate any of these symptoms.  I have
used this card as an Xserver on my PWS433a for a number of months
and haven't had any of the colour problems that you mention, although
the accelerations in the Xserver don't seem to work properly on
the 21164 machines presumably due to better write re-ordering.  I
looked into the acceleration problem briefly a while ago (which is
when I added the -noaccel switch), but couldn't quite figure out
what was going on.  Unfortunately, I then quickly got distracted
by my job.

Could you send the exact dmesg lines that the TGA2 puts out so that
I can make sure that our cards aren't too different?

Thanks,

 == Roland Dowdeswell                      http://www.Imrryr.ORG/~elric/  ==
 == The Unofficial NetBSD Web Pages        http://www.Imrryr.ORG/NetBSD/  ==
 == The NetBSD Project                            http://www.NetBSD.ORG/  ==