Subject: Re: PC164 won't boot - 6 beeps at post
To: Chris Price <cprice@its.to>
From: Lars <cryptr@cryptr.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/25/2002 10:53:47
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Chris Price wrote:

> 	Hi;
>
> 	Just inherited a PC164 barebones system from someones storeroom.
> According to the guy I got the system from, 'It was working when it
> was put away'. Unfortunately the system gives 6 beeps at boot time, and
> never seems to intialize its video card/display (PCI Diamond Stealth
> 2000).
>
> 	I've read the archives and the 6 beep post error code
> seems to mostly concern itself with wrong memory type in the system.
> I also replaced the system battery since a couple of posts referenced
> bad/dead battery problems and 6 beeps.
>
> 	The board came with 4 SIMMS that read:
>
> 	CELESTICA 16MB FPM
> 	4M x 36 60NS 5.0V
>
> 	The SIMMS have 8 small chips and 1 large chip *on one
> side only* - the other side is empty.
>
> 	I have jumper J1 'on' (ie: a jumper installed across the
> pins) and the SIMMS installed in SIM0 thru SIM4 (J5-J8).
>
> 	I've cleaned the contacts on the simms with a pink eraser and
> then wiped them with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to get the crap off
> them. No simm slot contacts seem bent or corroded
>
> 	I am at a loss on how to proceed. Are 6 beeps 'bad'? Should
> I try hooking up a console to one of the serial ports?

Not sure on this though, but if the system was once booted with the VGA
card as default, then the SRM (if its srm based) is set to use it and not
the console port and i think that would make console useless until you
reset that thing in the srm(i dont remmeber what the variable is called)
and i do think a pc164 board has the nice dec console port to :)-
(alteast mine has, though it doesnt work if i dont tell the srm to use it)

> 	Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
>
> 	Chris

Cell: +46 70 328 02 46
Mail: cryptr@cryptr.net
Home: http://www.cryptr.net/

- Thirty years after its creation, UNIX still remains a phenomenon -