Subject: Exabyte EXB-8500 series on NetBSD 1.5.2
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/23/2002 19:23:13
Hello!

After I finally gave up trying to compile apps from source myself and settled
for those in the pkgsrc-tree, I am not all that mad at my Alpha with NetBSD
anymore, since those indeed work.  Some of them are quite old, but at least
they compile.
Right now it's quite a nice NFS and XDM server, humming away in the basement,
good that the X-terminal is a Linux PC so I can run a Netscape on it :)
Anyway, what I wanted to tell was, that, following this post
http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=2155
I could get my Exabyte 8500 to actually write in 8500 format and get twice as
much on a tape as before, the unmodified kernel made it write in 8200 mode.
Had to do some modifications here and there since that post was based on an
old kernel, but it is working now.

Jochen