Subject: Re: assembly question
To: Alonso Bayona <alonso_bayona@hotmail.com>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/06/2002 22:54:53
> I was trying to count the number of bytes each instruction requires

I think on the alpha that value is constant.  (Though it does strike me
as possible that, as on the sparc, the assembler sometimes generates
multiple instructions for what looks like a single instruction in the
assembly code.)

> but the thing is that I don't know exactly what platform this
> assembly code was compiled on.

> movl $1,-12(%ebp)
> incl %esi
> leal (%edx,%eax),%esi

That looks to me a lot more like x86 assembly.  The x86 _does_ have
variable-size instructions, reinforcing this notion.  You'd probably
have better results asking on port-i386 than port-alpha.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign