Subject: pc164 board problems
To: None <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Chris Price <cprice@its.to>
List: port-alpha
Date: 03/03/2002 10:16:46
	Not a specific NetBSD question, but I saw a ton of hardware specific
questions on this list, so I figure I give ya''l a shot.. :)

	I am inheriting a PC164 motherboard, with what I think is a 400 or
433mhz cpu. I am unsure as to the cpu speed as I cannot get the darn
thing
to boot.

	I have SIMM slots J5-J8 populated with 4mx36 true parity simms. The
simms are the ones that were in the mobo when it was previously running.
Jumper
J1 is 'on', but when I boot I get the '6 beep' error code. I saw a
couple of
postings on this list that indicated my problem could likely be a dead
mobo
battery, so I swapped the battery for one with the same model # and
voltage
from a idle PC. However, I still get the '6 beep' error code at
power-up.
I never get a video signal, or any other indication of life other than
the CPU
and power supply fans running.

	Any ideas? I have been a longtime alpha advocate, and would love to
have
one of these puppies around to thumb my nose at the wintel crowd.

	Cheers and TIA

	Chris Price