Subject: Re: Alpha 250 4/266 Problems
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Graham Allan <allan@physics.umn.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/19/2002 16:44:37
On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 05:34:57PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On February 19, Ali Mashtizadeh wrote:
> > My alpha 250 4/266 doesn't come on. Can someone give me some suggestions
> > I have been trying to fix it for a while. I tried two video cards so I
> > don't think its the video card and it doesnot give any errors. No sounds
> > either. Please give me some sugestions.
>
>   Have you tried a serial console?

Also check if either of the fans are spinning.

If the fan in the front of the case is bad, then the system won't power
on (or it will for a second, then immediately switch off). You may be
able to replace it with a generic 3-wire PC case fan.

If the fan in the PSU is bad, or the PSU itself is bad, that's more
terminal. They're non-standard power supplies, and not easy to find.
And, unfortunately, Alphastion 200/250's seem to be getting to the age
where their power spplies are failing. We've had a few replaced through
having the workstations on maintenance contract (which was in itself an
oversight, given the age of them!), but outside of that, I think
they're very expensive and difficult to get hold of.

Graham
Graham Allan
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota