Subject: Re: AlphaServer 2000 4/233
To: None <funky.peen@telia.com, wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
From: r.o.s.s <ross@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/16/2002 22:29:12
> From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2002 at 03:48:59PM +0100, Mattias Paulsson wrote:
> > Hi!
> > I've just got my hands on an AlphaServer 2000 4/233.
> > Tried to install NetBSD/alpha 1.5.2 on it, but got an error message telling
> > me to rebuild the kernel with options DEC_2100_500 or something...
> >
> > Does NetBSD even run an a AplhaServer 2000? If not, is there any other
> > (free)
> > operating system (preferrably unix-like) out there, that will?
>
> FreeBSD should run on it. It's been a long time since I had a AS2100[A]
> to test it on though.

That's a really strange answer to give, Wilko, since as you know
NetBSD supports the same systems that FreeBSD does, plus a couple
more. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only system type added
by FreeBSD the 6600? That's the main type that appeared after
FreeBSD imported the NetBSD code to start their port. (And it's
one also added by NetBSD, of course.)

Anyway, I'll correspond with MP privately and send him a kernel.
But thanks for being so helpful!

	r.o.s.s