Subject: Re: Setting Console on 3000/300 to serial without video or
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/15/2002 12:57:53
>  > However, I've been running Macintoshes for years, and they require a
>>  monitor to be present.  So for headless servers, generally there are
>>  two suggestions.
>
>I'm not quite sure what this is doing on port-alpha, but shrug....

It was on port-alpha because that's what the question was. The poster
had a 3000/300 which he needed to remove the video card before serial
console would work. My Mac experience was attempting to provide an
"anecdotal solution" to an alpha problem. I am on the alpha list as
well as the mac68k list (and a few others) because I do run NetBSD on
a Mac and an alpha. I just run it on an AS200 and not a 3000/300. On
my AS200, all I needed to do was remove the kbrd & it would
auto-switch to serial console, so I had no need to use any "tricks"
like that to get my alpha to work.

>>  The other method is to use a paper clip to short pins in the port to
>>  make it "sense" that there is a monitor.  Unfortunately, I don't
>>  remember offhand which pins required shorting.
>
>Well, I have a IIci which I've used this method on, and I just now
>looked - it's got pin 4 shorted to pin 11, none of the other pins
>connected at all.  (It has a DB15 monitor connector.)

OK...I have an actual monitor on my Q840AV, & my PowerBook 3400c has
a built-in monitor (obviously).

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.