Subject: Re: Unsuccessful chip replacement attempt
To: Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
From: Rumi Szabolcs <rumi_ml@rtfm.hu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/09/2002 01:07:15
On 2002.02.07 at 19:50 Jack Twilley wrote:

>I killed my Multia.
>
>I used a Dremel to remove the failed chip, and that almost worked.
>A couple of lands came up, and a couple of legs didn't come off.  The
>soldering iron removed the leg fragments, but it also revealed that
>the grinder had also taken out several traces.
>
>I attempted to install the chip, but my soldering skills were
>suboptimal.  I won't even insult the machine with an attempt to boot.
>I'm just going to throw it away and unsub from the list.

Hello Jack,

i'd say if you havent cut a trace _inside_ the panel, but only
one or some on the surface, those are probably repairable.
The shorter ones can be just soldered together with a precision
soldering iron. If longer parts of a trace are rendered
unusable, it can be patched with a thin patch wire. So if
you dont have the proper tools, chemicals, and knowledge to
do this yourself maybe ask someone who does, but i dont think
you really have to throw away your Multia...

BTW, its _very_ unfortunate that the Multia FAQ mentions this
method, which is probably more dangerous than any other coming
to my mind right now...

Regards,

Szabolcs Rumi