Subject: Re: Unsuccessful chip replacement attempt
To: NetBSD/alpha Discussion List <port-alpha@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/08/2002 18:06:21
[ On Friday, February 8, 2002 at 23:11:48 (+0100), Werner Backes wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Unsuccessful chip replacement attempt
>
> I agree.. unfortunately the Multia FAQ mentions this method.

I really don't understand why -- removing the chip is very easy.  Just
cut the leads, pry it loose from the glue pad, and then with tweezers
and any small soldering iron (and maybe a magnifying glass too) remove
the leads and very carefully clean the pads without rubbing them too
hard or pulling on them with anything that's not well hot enough to melt
solder.  It's quite simple and safe.

From my perspective it's getting the new one soldered on properly and
without any solder bridges that's hard (especially without a very
fine-tipped low-power iron to use).

Maybe that should be my weekend project -- I've got three or four to do
here, and I've had the new chips sitting and waiting for far too long
now, and I really wouldn't mind playing with the Multias again!  I might
even replace my stupid ugly pentium firewall with one, assuming I can
get the other two into shape for building and testing NetBSD on....

I need more RAM though -- all the RAM I had for them is now in other
machines, including my RAID controllers which are still hungry for more,
and I don't have cash for such toys just now....

--
								Greg A. Woods