Subject: re: sysctl & process limitations (fwd)
To: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
From: Randy Arabie <rrarabie@arabie.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 02/02/2002 18:58:53
On Sun, 3 Feb 2002, matthew green wrote:

> errno 23 is ENFILE -- max open file descriptors for the *system*.
> 34 is EMFILE -- max open file descriptors for this process.  it
> sounds like you should perhaps build a new kernel with a larger
> `maxusers' ?  are you running lots of other stuff on this box that
> would cause all the fd's to be used?

Actually, no.  When I get it up I plan on running sendmail, so
root's mail will be sent to another box, and httpd and mysql.

Currently, fstat | wc -l reports 136 open files...not even close
to 5000.

Those are the big ones.  Others will be standard, sshd, syslog,
and dhclient.

I did recompile the kernel, but didn't mess with the default
process management settings.

Any recommendations?  This box is being designed as a webserver.  I'm
trying to install Geeklog, an OpenSource blog / content management /
web portal thingy that uses mySQL and PHP.  The site will be low
traffic, mainly a "lab" for me to learn new things.

--

Cheers!

Randy