Subject: Re: Good news, bad news
To: Jack Twilley <jmt@twilley.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@bsdfans.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/31/2002 06:40:28
Hi !

On Wed, 30 Jan 2002, Jack Twilley wrote:
> I don't know if the chip is failing or if it has already failed.  Can
> someone more familiar with the specific problem describe the symptoms
> of a failed 74F623?

My 3 Multias all had burned-down 623s in it, and the problems were the
following:

- ROM console initializes framebuffer, but suddenly fills the screen with trash
  and decrements screen height to 1 line
- ROM just crashes looped after powering up
- Booting nearly impossible

And lots more. Some problems might also result from the empty/missing
batteries. But From what i had to see, it is impossible to get a Multia
running with a toasted 623. But on the other hand, i read of just some memory
errors and resulting kernel panics. So the problems seem to spread a bit.

But: Just replace it. It is a matter of 15 minutes, and you don't have to think
about it. I also thought about it, but then, i just replaced the chips. I'm
happy now (as long as you can be happy with a multia :)

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX