Subject: Just a quick question about upgrading
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Collin Baillie <sanac@optushome.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/17/2002 20:16:01
Hi guys,

I have a DEC 3000-400 running 1.5. I want to upgrade to the current with the
new gcc (2.95.3) etc.

Here's the details:

I've downloaded snapshot 1.5ZA and stuck it in /home/collin/snapshot (ie the
entire directory structure for the snapshot is maintained and complete in
/home/collin/snapshot)

I copied the /installation/instalkernel/netbsd.gz to / and rebooted using
the SRM command:

>>> boot -fi "netbsd.gz" dka400

Boots ok, I choose upgrade and so on, then when I get to the part where it
asks me for the place where the install binaries are, I specify
/home/collin/snapshot/installation/binary but it can't find them.

I can only assume that it's mounting the partitions somewhere differnet, or
not mounting them at all. Here's a copy of my /etc/fstab:

/dev/sd0a / ffs rw 1 1
/dev/sd0b none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sd0d /usr ffs rw 1 2
/dev/sd0f /var ffs rw 1 2
/dev/sd0g /tmp ffs rw 1 2
/kern /kern kernfs rw

My question is this: Where should I specify the files are to make it install
from the local hard disk?

I want to update to this snapshot and then update to the -current tree.

Thanks in advance,

Collin