Subject: Multia hard disk problem
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Kukat <michael@unixiron.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/15/2002 19:57:15
Hello,

i "just wanted to" put NetBSD-1.5.2 on one of my Multias to use it as my new
firewall. But i had in mind, there was some kind of problem. And i found it
very fast... Not just one problem...

The first: Hard disk size detection fails

Kernel output reads:

sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <TOSHIBA, MK2326FB, A15B> SCSI1 0/direct fixed
sd0: mode sense (4) returned nonsense: using fictitious geometry
sd0: 264 GB, 270336 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 553648129 sectors

I would be happy, but i wouldn't make a firewall from this with _THIS_ disk
capacity... It is just the usual 340 MB thingie. What the hell is this? I
tried to play around with the NVRAM parameters (scsi* and pka*), but it is
always the same. I just connected another hard disk (Seagate 1 Gig external),
this disk is recognized correctly. What is the problem here? As i don't have
another 2,5"-disk, and can't do the thing i did with my box running Tru64
(i cut away some metal and put in a 3,5"-disk there), as i need the PCI slot
for another network card, what could help to fix this?

Creating a label manually doesn't help, as it seems not to be written to the
disk. dd'ing 10000 zero blocks to the drive makes no trouble...

The second: using serial console is impossible... Output to the terminal
works, input just doesn't work. Terminal is ok, but for now i didn't check the
serial port of my Multia. Any ideas/same problems?

...Michael

--
http://www.bsdfans.org/    Home network powered by: NetBSD OpenBSD FreeBSD IRIX
Solaris AIX HP-UX Tru64 MUNIX Ultrix VMS SINIX Dolphin_Unix OpenStep MacOS A/UX