Subject: Re: Question about DEC3000-300 and memory
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/09/2002 10:46:21
Re: NetBSD install on a 16MB 3000/300

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:46:39AM +0100, Dijk, Jeroen van wrote:
> The last time (3 or 4 years ago) I tried to install BSD I had to
> manually partition and configure a swap devices and I didn't remember
> that as a tough part.
>
> My question is: "Is it possible?" Or "What is the minimum memory
> needed to run for example NetBSD on a dec3000-300?"

all you need is enough memory to boot to a single-user shell prompt with
enough free memory to run disklabel and swapon.  since this is alpha, it
will be kind of like installing to an 8MB 32-bit RISC machine.  expect a
lot of disk thrashing, but I think it would work.

maybe someone on port-alpha has tried this?  :)

          "Making people dance so hard their pants almost fall
                 off is kind of fun."  -- David Evans