Subject: XFree86 3.3.6 on NetBSD Alpha?
To: None <newbie@XFree86.Org, port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ted Spradley <tsprad@spradley.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/08/2002 13:37:27
I've got a question.  I just converted my AlphaStation 200 4/233 back to
NetBSD from FreeBSD, and now I'm trying to get X going on it.  The video
board in it is an old S3 that's supported in 3.3.6 but not in 4.1.0.

When I did the system installation I told it to get and install X, but
when I went to configure the X server I found there were no servers at
all.  Lots of stuff under /usr/X11R6, but no Xserver.  So I went back to
the installation instructions and it said the X servers are in a
separate tarball, xserver.tgz.  So I got that and unpacked it, but it
only contains XalphaNetBSD, Xprt, rgb.db, and a generic Xserver man
page.  I was expecting the usual collection of two dozen 3.3.6 servers.
Both XalphaNetBSD and Xprt don't understand -version, they respond with
"Unrecognized option: -version" and the same long list of options, but
no version ID.

The NetBSD installation instructions say: "If you have installed the X
Window System, look at the files in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc for
information." but that's an empty directory.
ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.6/binaries/ has nothing for NetBSD
newer than 1.3, which is quite old.

So, any NetBSD expert out there want to offer some advice?  Get the
xsrc.tgz from NetBSD.org which purportedly can build both?  Get the
3.3.6 source from XFree86.org and build it for NetBSD?  Get a video
board that 4.1.0 understands (I could scrounge up a Matrox Millenium
II)?  Get a newer (than 1.5.2) snapshot of the whole NetBSD system and
upgrade?

Who wants to offer advice?

--
Remember, more computing power was thrown away last week than existed in
the world in 1982.  -- http://www.tom.womack.net/computing/prices.html