Subject: RE: gcc and glibc
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Collin Baillie <sanac@optushome.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 01/06/2002 14:50:15
athan J. Williams [nathanw@wasabisystems.com] wrote:
> Collin Baillie <Collin.Baillie@world.net> writes:
>
> > I have a question for you all. I'm running NetBSD 1.5 on a DEC 3000/400
and
> > I want to toy with Interbase on it. But it seems that NetBSD (alpha port
at
> > least) doesn't have glibc or gcc.
>
> The /usr/bin/cc on NetBSD is gcc. There should also be/usr/bin/gcc in
> your path, which is the same program. If there isn't, something went
> wrong - perhaps you didn't install the "comp" set?
>
> It's true that NetBSD doesn't have glibc. In general, this isn't a
> problem. What does Interbase need from glibc specifically that our
> libc doesn't supply?
>
>         - Nathan

What I meant to say was that gcc needs the glibc to compile.. well that's
what my boss says, and he's the one who's doing the hard work, I just lent
him my machine :)

I installed the comp.tgz package. I installed all packages. The cc supplied
is egcs not gcc. According to gcc -v.

Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com> wrote:

> If you switch to NetBSD-current, you'll have a newer compiler (gcc
2.95.3).

Ok so how do I go about getting the current dist? I assume that gcc2.95.x
isn't in 1.5.2. Can I 'upgrade' with my live 1.5 system??

My boss overwrote the NetBSD make with gnumake and now the packages won't
make. It whinges about something, (has to do with the .include at the bottom
of the make file) so I'll re-install the comp.tgz package before I try
anything.