Subject: X and mouse: return
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/31/2001 20:40:33
Hi guys,

AlphaStation 200 4/166, running the binary snapshot that was posted a
week or so ago.

Running make USETOOLS=never depend, and make USETOOLS=no, I was able
to successfully compile a custom kernel. I started out with an ALPHA
cconfig file, commented out all non-avanti CPUs, all
non-PCI/ISA/PCMCIA stuff, no USB, etc. I changed
pms*   at      pckbc?
wsmouse*        at      pms?

pmsi*   at      pckbc?
wsmouse*        at      pmsi?

The kernel built fine, & I installed it & rebooted. The dmesg had
pmsi0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
wsmouse0 at pmsi0 (mux ignored)

so it lookled successful. I logged in, typed "startx" & watched as 2
xterms, xclock, xosview and tvtwm all sprung to life :-). I typed
something into one xtterm, highlighted it with mouse button 1. I then
moused over to the other xterm window & hit the scroll wheel, and the
text popped into view! Woohoo. Next, I typed "emacs /build-12-30" to
see if the scroll wheel does anything (build-12-30 is the "script"
output from my attempt to build.sh). I saw emacs pop onscreen, &
waited a bit until the text of the build came up. I scrolled the
mouse wheel & nothing happened :-(. OK, I thought, so the rest worked
no problem. So I tried to mouse up to exit emacs....but I couldn't
find my pointer! I tried ctrl-c...nothing. OK, I went to my Mac,
started up BetterTelnet, & logged in so that I could kill emacs.
Hmmmm, no emacs. Even better, no xterm, xosview, or xclock, or
Xalphanetbsd. Harumph. "startx" again. I go over to the alpha's kbrd,
& hit "x-return" a few times, & see the login at console come up.
startx again, see the usual complement come up, & move the mouse
again. This time, I find that I already have nothing, but am back
into console, without seeing the window (but with retrying, I can
logout blindly and it will come back into view). I had tried checking
my home directory for .core files, but none were created.

So I typed "script /xservertxt", followed by "startx". Here's the
output (^M's deleted):

alpha# startx

xrdb: colon missing on line 1, ignoring line

Fatal server error:
alphaMouseEnqueueEvent: unrecognized id

xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
xterm:  fatal IO error 32 (Broken pipe) or KillClient on X server ":0.0"
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
xinit:  connection to X server lost.

7.102u 0.982s 1:23.56 9.6%      0+0k 0+37io 0pf+0w
alpha#

Any ideas?

Mike
--