Subject: RE: Discord and DECay
To: Bucketmouth Frogstump <bucketmouthfrogstump@hotmail.com>
From: Jochen Kmietsch <jochen.kmietsch@tu-clausthal.de>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/21/2001 02:20:20
Hello!

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Bucketmouth Frogstump wrote:

> Absolutely. Actually, if you've already got the system running, you really
> just need to build the TCWSCONS kernel - grab the syssrc tarball and read up

Oh!  A friend of mine and I saved the DECs from the trash so we are both
pretty new at it, and thought that the built-in framebuffer was not
supported (at least I thought I read that).  I put the dmesg at
http://www.esw-heim.tu-clausthal.de/~jochen/dmseg if you want to have an
expert look :)

> on kernel compiling. Oh, you can just unpack the kern.tgz file on the site
> and boot that, but it's built from 1.5 release sources. If you're running
> anything later than that, you should recompile.

Running 1.5.2 right now.  Will read the docs.

> I'm not sure about X - the X server on the FTP site was built from the X

Console would be great for a start, X can wait but I will try it.

> The main intent of those files was to allow a full NetBSD installation from
> a bare system to running X without ever needing a serial console. They did
> the job admirably, but really need updating.

Cool.  We did not know about that, did the whole serial console install
etc.

Jochen