Subject: Re: How to boot single-user?
To: paul@whooppee.com, #List Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/19/2001 23:16:12
At 7:40 PM -0800 12/19/01, Paul Goyette wrote:
>(OK, you asked, "Why do you need to boot single-user?"  Because I made
>the mistake of installing Jason's new ld.so_elf on my 1.5Z machine, and
>now nothing works!  Obviously, I wasn't supposed to install that new
>file just yet...)

Uh, oh! I installed it immediately prior to reading this post. I
guess I won't reboot. Heh, looks like it's immediate:

alpha# ls
/usr/pkg/bin/colorls: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.

OK, no prob...
alpha# unalias ls
alpha# alias ls ls -la
alpha# cp /usr/obj/libexec/ld.elf_so/ld.elf_so /usr/libexec/
alpha# cd ~
alpha# source .cshrc
/usr/bin/mesg: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.
/usr/bin/id: Exec format error. Wrong Architecture.
alpha%

Hmmmm, this sux :P I figured that "If you are a NetBSD-current user
of the Alpha port, PLEASE INSTALL THIS NEW DYNAMIC LINKER AS SOON AS
POSSIBLE." meant install this linker as soon as possible ;-).
I tried going into /usr/src/libexec/ld.elf_so & doing "make install"
& "install"...both gave bad arch.

Ahhhhh....ls /usr/libexec/ld.elf_so provides -rw-r--r--...umask...

cp -p /usr/obj/libexec/ld.elf_so/ld.elf_so /usr/libexec/
make
no target to make

Yipee!

Hehehe, I love it when a plan comes together :-)

BTW... Jason recently posted that because of the dramatic changes he
was working on that either he or Ross would be making a snapshot
soon, so I froze at a Dec 13th kernel (1.5Y) with older (Nov 20)
binaries. Will it be the build that you're doing with the new
toolchain that you'll be posting, Jason?

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.