Subject: Re: Question about AlphaStation 200
To: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
From: Linc Fessenden <linc@thelinuxlink.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/12/2001 20:15:08
> > Does anyone have experience with the AlphaStation 200?  I've used NetBSD
> > on a number of Multias, but the AS/200 is not cooperating.
> >
> > The problem I'm having isn't with NetBSD, but the hardware.
> >
> > The system comes up with the ARC console, I go in and change the setting
> > to either OpenVMS or Digital Unix and it accepts the change.  I restart
> > the system and it stays in ARC. (Though the firmware screen shows that
> > I changed which system type to boot to.)
> >
> > I checked, there was a newer firmware release for the system, I pulled
> > it down and tried to install it.  The system starts, and then gets
> > a fatal error.  again it boots just fine in to the ARC.
> >
> > I have the feeling the firmware is locked, but could be wrong.  I can't
> > find docs on the main board in the AS/200.  Does anyone know what I'm
> > missing here? Is there a jumper to unlock the firmware?

Well, I have an AS200 4/233 here with the original manual if that
helps..  The manual saysswitch from ARC to SRM by using the firmware
Update Utility.  There is a flashRom write enable jumper at J6 on the MB
which should be factory set to write.  Then you use the Firmware Update
Utility which supposedly comes on cdrom to switch the firmware for
you.  Unfortunately I do not have the utility but it sounds to me like you
just need to check that jumper :-)

-Linc Fessenden