Subject: Re: OT: a dumb alpha question
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
List: port-alpha
Date: 12/12/2001 00:03:30
On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 05:54:51PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:

While cannot answer the question directly I want to make some side
notes:

The DS10 mainboard has a quite of number of ball-grid mounted chips
on them. These are reasonably sensitive to flexing of the PCB they are
mounted on. I have removed EV6 chips from a number of scrap boards and
doing so is *not* an easy task without the proper tools, it takes quite
some force. I don't think DS10 has a ZIF socket (the scrap boards were
from an ES40 BTW).

All in all I don't advise doing this. At least I value my own DS10 too
much for such an experiment ;-)

Wilko

>   Hi folks.  I apologize for the off-topic message, but this is the
> highest concentration of Alpha-related knowledge that I could think
> of.  I have a questions that I've been otherwise unable to find the
> answers to.
>
>   There are some 733MHz Samsung 21264A processors on eBay right now,
> specifically auction #1306963295.  Will these run in a DS10?  Are
> these chips built in such a way that you can't under-clock them, as
> I've heard is the case for some Intel processors?
>
>       Thanks,
>       -Dave
>
> --
> Dave McGuire