Subject: Re: 164SX kernel build problem
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Tom Dropka <tomdropka@yahoo.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/27/2001 14:20:43
--- Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:44:16PM -0800, Tom Dropka wrote:
> > I've successfully installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on a 164SX, but when I try
> > build either a custom kernel or the GENERIC kernel, it always fails
> > with this message:
> >
> > building standard kern library
> > Segmentation fault - core dumped
> > *** Error code 139
> >
> > Stop.
> > *** Error code 1
> > #
> >
> > Where should I start looking?  Is there a list of error codes
> > somewhere? (I'm assuming this is an ar/binutils problem, but it did
> > build libcompat.a OK.)  Has anybody ever seen this before?  I am
> able
> > to build successfully on a PC64 (Cabriolet).
>
> Well, one of the program got a segmentation fault (signal 11). look
> for
> a *.core file for which program failed.
>
> Maybe it's a memory limit issue. Try 'unlimit' before running make.
> Did you change compiler flags ?
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
> --

After a few tries, the GENERIC finally built, but my custom kernel
build keeps dying.

Sometimes there's a core file (sh.core), sometimes there isn't.
Searching the mail archives, this "Error code 139" seems to pop up
quite a bit.  I didn't change any compiler flags.  I tried 'unlimit'
but that didn't help.  I've got 128 MB of RAM and 256 MB of swap.

Now that you mention sig 11, I'm wondering if there isn't a memory
problem on the SX.  I'm not using ECC, just ordinary PC100 SDRAM, and
when the "sig 11" thing used to show up on the Redhat-Linux lists,
memory was always the first thing to check.

Thanks,
Tom