Subject: Re: Weird TCP/IP behaviour
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/26/2001 22:19:36
On Mon, Nov 26, 2001 at 03:37:19PM -0500, Paul Mather wrote:
> I am using 10baseT.  I'm not sure how to check the duplex settings.  On
> my end, I think the 3000/300 only supports half-duplex.  Ifconfig says
> the media is set to "Ethernet manual".  The other end of the cable goes
> to a switch in the building, configured to who knows what, but I suspect
> it auto-detects 10/100baseT and duplex settings.

It would be good to know.

> AFAIK, the network hardware in the 3000/300 is the same as the 3000/500,
> and both machines are on the same subnet, configured to use the same
> default gateway, yet only the 3000/300 running NetBSD gives problems.

But not on the same port. I've seen hardware combinaisons that would'nt
renegotiate the same thing accross reboot. One time it works, another it
doesn't ...

> Also, wouldn't a wrong duplex setting affect speeds in both directions,
> and to the same subnet, too?  The problem I am experiencing is only when

No, as the link behavior isn't symetric in this case.
things will be worse on the local subnet if the remote machine is
full-duplex. However if it's half-duplex you'll see almost no
collisions on your link.

What driver do you use ?
Does netstat -i show errors on the interface ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>