Subject: Re: Adaptec 1542CF on PC64?
To: Ken Seefried <ken@seefried.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/08/2001 13:35:04
"Ken Seefried" wrote:

> I'm interested in putting an Adaptec 1542CF in my PC64-275 under NetBSD
> 1.5.2 (well...the latest snapshot, actually).  Doesn't seem to work with my
> GENERIC kernel.  FWIW...there is an ISA WD Ethernet card that does seem to
> work in this box.  I've not diddled with ISACFG, as I can't seem to find the
> apropos doco.

I used a 1542CF on a pc164 (_not_ a pc64) for a while, until I switched
from a string of small SCSI disks to a couple of large IDE disks.  The
SCSI disks were on an NCR SCSI card and I had an Exabyte 8500 on the
1542CF.  The IDE disks were on the inbuilt IDE interface(s) on the
pc164.  With DMA enabled on the IDE disks, I'd restore about 1.2GB from
the Exabyte and I'd get a machine check - every time.  Turning off DMA
to the IDE disks "fixed" the problem but obviously didn't help disk
performance.

My end solution was to throw out the 1542.  To enable it, I think I just
copied the aha (or ahc? it's been a while) entry from the i386 GENERIC
kernel config file.

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/