Subject: Re: XalphaNetBSD no go -> unusable console
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/02/2001 21:55:19
On Fri, Nov 02, 2001 at 01:13:30PM -0500, R. C. Dowdeswell wrote:
> On 712498376 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> kpneal@pobox.com wrote:
> >

> >I have no XF86Config file.
>
> Yep, XalphaNetBSD requires no config:  just a keyboard, a mouse and
> a TGA.  :-)

Awesome. I'm really tired of editing XF86Config files in attempts to
get every last dot out of a pathetic clock. An X server with a decent
resolution at a good speed without tons of tweaking is a beauty.

> >A second later the screen switches from white on black text to
> >black text on white background (like when Amiga UNIX finishes booting).
> >That's it, the console is now unusable. Logging in remotely shows
> >that there is no X server running. Rebooting works fine.
>
> Hmmm, yes.  The X server is not resetting the colormap back to its
> original state one exit.  I attach a program that will manipulate
> the colormap.  You can change it to whatever you want.  :-)

Cool.

I've been experimenting more and I noticed that if I log in remotely
and kill my shell then the tty is reset and I get a login prompt. In
a similar vein, if I exec X then I get a login prompt. I guess this
means the X server doesn't reset the keyboard settings on exit?

> Probably you are.  You could hack the X server to change the lack
> of a mouse into a warning rather than an error to get X working,
> though.  Perhaps we should do that.

It is a rather good idea.

Seen on bottom of IBM part number 1887724:
DO NOT EXPOSE MOUSE PAD TO DIRECT SUNLIGHT FOR EXTENDED PERIODS OF TIME.