Subject: DIAGNOSTIC Kernel Option on Multia
To: NetBSD/Alpha <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/01/2001 21:46:49
Hi,

Ever since I upgraded my multia to NetBSD 1.5 9+ months ago, it has been
plagued with stability problems.  It would seldom stay up for more than
2 weeks at a time without crashing.  I've provided debug output to this list
on several occasions in the hopes that someone might know what was
happening,
but the only responses I've received suggested the problem may be
hardware related.

This seemed strange to me, as the machine had been up and running for many
months prior to that without any problems.  Of course, I had added a couple
of new PCI boards to the machine when I upgraded to 1.5, so I could not
discount that idea completely.

I had hoped when 1.5.1 came out, my problems would go away, but
unfortunately
they remained as before.

About the time I was getting ready to switch to Linux (cough cough), it was
suggested to me by a friend that I turn off the kernel consistency checks.
I did this over a month ago.  Since that time, the machine has been up and
running non-stop without crashing (30 days uptime at present).  This is
almost
double the previous uptime record since I upgraded the machine to 1.5.

I thought I'd mention this here in case anyone might know of any Multia-
specific code turned on by the DIAGNOSTIC option that could cause this
instability or to see if anyone else may have noticed similar behavior.
Almost all of the panics I experienced were MMU faults.

--
Bill Dorsey