Subject: Re: Working wide->narrow SCSI adapters?
To: Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
From: Shawn O'Shea <sko@eth0.net>
List: port-alpha
Date: 11/01/2001 21:41:07
I have an AlphaServer 300 doing exactly this (9gb IBM UltraStar UW drive).
I bought an adaptor online (98% positive it has high byte termination, and
from what I've read it should to do this anyway) from www.cablemakers.com

These guys make high quality stuff (you'll pay for it though), but I've
felt it's worth it from the 1/2 dozen or so purchases I've made from them.

-Shawn

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Paul Mather wrote:

> I have a DEC 3000/500S, which uses 50-pin narrow internal cabling, and a
> 68-pin wide drive I want to use in it.  Does anyone know where I can buy
> a *WORKING* adapter (preferably low-profile) that will let me connect
> the wide drive to the internal 50-pin SCSI bus?  I stress "working"
> because I mail-ordered one before, and it wouldn't work.  I'm guessing
> it was wired up incorrectly, as mentioned in the SCSI FAQ.
>
> Sources willing to accept university purchase orders are a definite
> plus.  Low-cost is also a bonus.  BTW, do I have to get an adapter with
> high-byte termination, or is that unnecessary?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help keeping this ol' DEC alive!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul.
>
> e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu
>
> "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production
>  deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."
>         --- Frank Vincent Zappa

# ifconfig eth0.net "Shawn O'Shea" netmask 255.255.255.0 up
# route add -net smtp shawn@eth0.net
# route add -net http http://eth0.net