Subject: alphaserver 2100 install
To: None <alpha@freebsd.org>
From: CHOI Junho <cjh@kr.FreeBSD.ORG>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/26/2001 14:27:15
Hi,

Recently I am trying to install FreeBSD or NetBSD into Alphaserver
2100 4/200. This machine has:

  Processor - 21064-3 200Mhz x 1
  PCI
    Tulip 21040-AA ethernet card(aui, tp)
    NCR 53c810 scsi controller
      - RRD43 cd-rom
      - TLZ06 tape drive
  EISA
    Compaq Qvision VGA
    Mylex DAC960
      - 2 SCSI HDD(JBOD mode)

Here is installation status:

 NetBSD 1.5.2: Can't boot with install kernel. It stops with "option
   DEC_2100_A500 is required". I also tried jensen-sable-lynx bootable
   floppies and bootp kernel boot, it hangs.

 FreeBSD 4.4: Booting is fine, and sysinstall works.
   But install kernel can't probe Mylex controller so can't install on
   HDD on that. (I have only disks on Mylex controller)

What can I do? Either if NetBSD sysinst kernel supports AS 2100 or
FreeBSD support mlx driver on eisa bus, it'll be fine.

--
 +++ Any opinions in this posting are my own and not those of my employers +++
 CHOI Junho [sleeping now]                    <http://www.kr.FreeBSD.org/~cjh>