Subject: Re: framebuffer on dec3000/300L
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Ben Thompson <thompsob18@optushome.com.au>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/22/2001 03:44:22
Hi all,

Sorry, this may be completely off-topic, as I'm really an amatuer here,
hence please accept my apologies in advance for the somewhat desperate tone
of this post...

I have a DEC 3000/600 with dual turbochannel PMAGB-BA framebuffers, and I've
been completely unable to get X running on either display.

I've tried everything, from installing the tcwscons kernel (which works
beautifully as a text console on the primary framebuffer, but still no X),
to downloading the re-compliled X server from the monash.edu.au site (refer
to related articles over the last few months), even compiling the X source
from the NetBSD-current release from scratch - in short, despite my best
(admittedly amatuer) efforts, I have been completely unable to get an X
server running on my machine.

Again, apologies for my ignorance, but I haven't quite understood all that
has been posted in this thread - is any of this relevant to my predicament?

I only ask, because I have been desperately trying to get an X server
running on my Alpha for over two months; in fact, I've had to resort to
asking Compaq if I can still purchase a Tru64 unix release that will solve
my problems (no response so far... but as a PC/LAN support tech who works at
a site populated mainly by Compaq servers, this is what I have come to
expect from the esteemed owners of the what used to be Digital Equipment
Corporation...).

I embark on my journey into the Alpha world as a die-hard Intel
FreeBSD/Linux enthusiast, and I'd be the first to proclaim the numerous
benefits of open-source software, however after my experiences to date, I'm
really clutching at straws here.... In short, I'd be grateful for any help
you can offer!

Regards,

Ben.