Subject: Re: serial console on PC164
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/12/2001 18:52:50
Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2001 at 02:07:01PM +1000, matthew green wrote:
> >
> > the PC164 should give you a working SRM console on either port, given
> > the right conditions.  do you have a keyboard plugged in?  try taking
> > it out...  i personally have used a PC164 with serial console for the
> > better part of 3 years now.
>
> Actually, try pulling the VGA card, even just temporarily.  That's more
> likely to do what you want on an Alpha (pulling the keyboard would be the
> right thing to do on a SPARC).

You shouldn't even need to do that.  I still remember being amazed at
typing away at SRM on the serial console on my PC164 one night when
I realised that the VGA card and keyboard were still working (and at
another SRM prompt too!).

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/