Subject: PX/PXG Xserver
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@interlude.eu.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/10/2001 23:54:11
Some people have asked about this recently.. There's an experimental Xserver
for alpha up at:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/ad/XdecNetBSD.gz

It will drive the PixelStamp boards in 8-bit and 32-bit color modes -
whatever your card supports; `-depth 8' can also be used with the 32-bit
ones. If anybody wants to try it, a -current kernel with the px/pxg drivers,
the INSECURE option and a /dev/stic0 entry (major 68) are needed.

There are still a couple of minor rendering bugs to be fixed and some
performance improvements that need to be made. That said, for my typical
workload the PXG+ in my 3000/300LX beats the pants off the on-board SFB. I
suppose I should really collect some numbers.

Anyway, if this isn't all verbal wank and somebody does try it out, let me
know how you get on. A pmax version of this server is currently only
available for wscons kernels; hopefully the functionality will become
mainstream some way or another in the not too distant future.

Andrew