Subject: Re: AS1200 with 53c875 symbios SCSI card, does not boot
To: Stephen M Jones <smj@cirr.com>
From: Michael Carlson <mcarlson@Legato.COM>
List: port-alpha
Date: 10/09/2001 11:16:19
--------------030202030203090701010801

Thats my exact situation. The onboard controller which is a 50pin scsi
is i believe a 53c810, and the dual channel PCI scsi card is a 53c875.
Both apprearently do not work and my only other option is to buy another
controller. Any other controller suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike C

Stephen M Jones wrote:

>>I have a AlphaServer 1200 with a 53c875 NCR/sym SCSI controller that
>>times out during booting off the install CD.
>>

>Michael
>
>I had a similar problem with my 5305 (the AS1200).  Are you saying that
>the onboard controller is timing out? That is normally where the CDROM
>drive is attached to.  Check Manuel's suggestion regarding termination.
>
>The device I had was a 53c875 based controller .. I basically could not
>use it.  It was a dual channel SCSI adapter and during the booting of
>the system, the bus would reset and time out.  I tried a number of
>configurations but couldn't get beyond the timeout.  There are varying
>clock speeds I found if you checkout the NCR driver code .. and I was
>just suspecting that was the issue with that particular card.. the
>drive attempts to guess the clockspeed.
>
>SO, my solution was to stop using the device and just go out and buy
>a TEKRAM (53c875) controller.. I believe the designation is 950? or
>950UA .. I could be wrong.. but that is what I had to do for both of
>my 5305s.
>
>Stephen

--------------030202030203090701010801

<head>
</head>
Thats my exact situation. The onboard controller which is a 50pin scsi is
i believe a 53c810, and the dual channel PCI scsi card is a 53c875. Both
apprearently do not work and my only other option is to buy another controller.
Any other controller suggestions?<br>
Thanks,<br>
Mike C<br>
Stephen M Jones wrote:<br>