Subject: Re: Trouble installing on 3000/400
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
From: Brian Hechinger <wonko@arkham.ws>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/30/2001 16:48:28
> If the install tool dies when setting the timezone I suspect most of the
> other stuffs have been set up.
>
> Check that /etc/fstab exists and then type 'mount -a'
> you should then be able to use an editor (after export TERM=vt100 eventually)
> to e.g. edit /etc/rc.conf

i've found it's a good skill to learn what sysinst does and learn to do it
manually.  there are many occasions where sysinst would blow up while installing
NetBSD so i've resorted to booting an install kernel to a prompt, layout the
disks, untar stuff and then manually config everything.  it's less elegant, and
generally more work, but works 100% of the time.

just my $0.02

-brian