Subject: Re: Linux Compatibility?
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: Bill Dorsey <billd@lila.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/28/2001 13:12:05
Nathan,

You wrote:
> I can't speak to the state of linux compat on the alpha, as I've never
> tried it, but are there interesting Linux/Alpha applications that
> don't also exist as OSF1/Tru64 applications? Our emulation of that is
> pretty good.

Indeed there are.  For instance, the Compaq Java runtime uses OSF1/Tru64
calls that are not emulated by NetBSD.  I'm not certain if the same is
true of the compilers as I have not tried the OSF1/Tru64 C/C++ compilers.
Are they publicly available like the Linux versions?

Also, Linux compatibility seems like it should be a big win because of
its huge popularity.

- Bill Dorsey