Subject: Re: TGA display problem on console
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryanxms@ecst.csuchico.edu>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/23/2001 22:57:20
On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, B. James Phillippe wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, R. C. Dowdeswell wrote:
>
> > On 7093235:0 seconds since the Beginning of the UNIX epoch
> > "B. James Phillippe" wrote:
> > >
> > >I have NetBSD-1.5 installed on my AS 200 and am more-or-less in good
> > >shape.  However, I have a strange display problem at the console (I'm
> > >not messing with X yet).  My ZLXp-E2 adapter is configured (via DIP
> > >switch) to a console mode of 1152x900, 66Hz, 93Mhz (position 4).  This
> > >provides a nice, sharp white-on-black display at said resolution while
> > >in SRM.  However, once the kernel boots the resolution seems to stay
> > >at 1152x900, but the display is shifted to the right and slightly
> > >down, and the background is green.  There is also some ghosting (which
> > >I know from previous experience to be a hardware issue with the
> > >ZLXp-E? boards, and requires shorting two pins to resolve*).  I tried
> > >setting tga_sync_green to no avail (just wiped out my display when set
> > >to "1", display is as described when set to "2").  I have a standard
> > >multisync peecee-type monitor which has otherwise worked fine with my
> > >Alpha.
> > >
> > >Any ideas?
> > Hmmm.  Hold on a sec.
> >
> > Are you in a position to build a kernel?  If so, try the attached patch
> > in sys/dev/ic.  This may change your symptoms, but it is just a guess.
> Thanks for the helpful response!  I'll follow up when I get a chance to
> test the diff.

Roland,

Your guess is on the money.  A kernel compiled with this patch resolves my
display problem.  Very interesting this hasn't come up before.

On a (possibly) unrelated note, when I have my display set for 1152x900,
the NetBSD console seems to honor the resolution in terms of point size,
but not in rows and columns.  On kernel init, my display is centered in the
screen with what appears to be the standard 80x25 character width.  Is
there any way I can modify the console configuration to use the full screen
resolution?

Thanks for your help,
-bp
--
# bryan at terran dot org                      Support the American Red Cross
# http://www.terran.org/~bryan                    http://www.redcross.org