Subject: Re: Seagate disk
To: Jaap Boender <jaapb@kerguelen.org>
From: Geoff Adams <gadams@avernus.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/16/2001 22:50:04
On 9/12/01 11:46 AM, Jaap Boender at jaapb@kerguelen.org wrote:

> I just bought a Seagate ST410800N SCSI disk, but it keeps giving these error
> messages (during boot and when I try to disklabel it):
>
> probe(ncr0:6:0):  Check Condition on CDB: 0x00 00 00 00 00 00
> SENSE KEY:  Hardware Error
> ASC/ASCQ:  No Seek Complete
> FRU CODE:  0x1

I successfully use several of these drives on one of my alphas; there
shouldn't be any troubles, there.  :)

However, these are hefty drives with hefty power requirements.  I was
experimenting with one of these drives, and I put it into an old enclosure I
have -- one of the few that I have that will fit a 5.25" full-height drive.
I got hardware errors just like you see, and I thought my drive was toast.
I formatted it in this enclosure, which promptly corrupted the media format.
Whoops.

All was solved when I put it into a really beefy case (a rack-mount
enclosure with three other ST410800N drives in it).  I had to reformat it,
of course, before I could use it without media errors.

Try a different (more beefy) power supply before giving up hope.

- Geoff