Subject: Re: Help with netboot install of 1.5
To: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
From: B. James Phillippe <bryan@terran.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 09/10/2001 22:59:42
On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, Michael L. Hitch wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001, B. James Phillippe wrote:
>
> > My bootptab file read as:
> >
> > netbsd.alpha:\
> >     :hd=/var/net/tftpd:bf=netbsd.alpha:\
> >     :ht=ethernet:ha=0000f82341ab:vm=rfc1048:\
> >     :ip=192.168.216.5:bs=auto:
> >
> > And I copied "netbsd.alpha" from the root dir of the CD (CD #2) into
> > /var/net/tftpd on my server.
> >
> > I have read all the docos I can find, but I cannot find the solution.
> > Am I doing something silly?
>
>   I think so - the kernel is not the bootfile, the bootfile is supposed to
> be the boot loader "netboot".

Hmmm, I can't seem to find the file "netboot" on my CD's.  These are Wasabi
1.5 CD's.  In any case, I finally gave up and made floppies from the boot
images and am installing that now.  But I would like to figure out how to
get the netboot working in case I have to use it in the future.  FWIW, I
tried netbsd.alpha, alpha/binary/kernel/netbsd.GENERIC.gz,
alpha/installation/instkernel/netbsd.gz, each as-is and uncompressed.

thanks,
-bp
--
# bryan at terran dot org