Subject: XFree 4.x.y for Alpha
To: None <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/26/2001 22:25:38
Hiya Simon and all who read this too,

recently i got myself an Alpha PWS 500a and after lots of trouble got it
installed even :| .... now i am trying to get X working on it but for some
reason it doenst work :( .... I didnt use the install sets for the last
time i tried the X install sets for Alpha (1.5W snapshot) there wasn't even
a Xserver in it :( ...

I've scouted some on the NetBSD ftp site and found a XF4.0.1 ? snapshot of
the X server wich had some `interesting' features... dunno what caused it
but for some reason it bombed on me a couple of times :(. I'm now trying to
get the XF4 in source tree sources to compile for Alpha but it bombs out in
.../xfree/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/bsd_video.c ...
inspecting the code shows that there is some code there for FreeBSD ...
but nothing for NetBSD ?

Could you or someone else please shed some light on this ? Is there
someone working on it ? Or should i just try the 1.5.1/1.5.2 Xserver?

Cheers,
Reinoud