Subject: Re: Q: Switching to serial console...
To: NetBSD Alpha Port <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Terminator <jimmyzhou@bigfoot.com>
List: port-alpha
Date: 08/22/2001 13:43:11

Thanks for the information. I get the the Null-Modem cable and
connect it to the serial port of a Linux box. Now I don't know what
terminal program I shall use on Linux. I tried minicom, but don't
know how to use it. :-(  Is there any hint available? Thanks!

Jimmy

> You'll need to connect some kind of terminal to the serial port on the
> back of the alpha. Either this would be some kind of terminal software
> running on another computer, or a real VT terminal. Check the page
> at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/alpha/models.html#dec-3000-500 where you
> can find some more info on your DEC box. Below is a section from that page
> which would be of interrest to you.
>
> <snip>
> Since no frame buffer or keyboard is supported on DEC 3000/500-family
> systems, you MUST use a serial console when running NetBSD/alpha on them.
> See your owner's manual for information on how to configure your system to
> use a serial console.
> </snip>
>
> The best way to use a box like the DEC3000/500 would be via networking
> since the serial driver in NetBSD seems a bit flaky. It's useful for
> booting though.
>
> --
> cheers,
>
> /Anders
>

> VAX is something we should do, VAX is something that's not Big Blue.
> VAX is natural, VAX is good.
> Not everyone's got Digital, but everybody should.
> VAX is natural, VAX is fun.
> VAX is best when it's ....  one on one, one on one.
> * Anders Hogrelius       Phone : +46 (0)70 6770210
> * Tessingatan 12         E-mail: anders@hogrelius.nu
> * SE-72216 Vasteras      Web:    http://www.hogrelius.nu/~ahs/
> * SWEDEN

Jingmin (Jimmy) Zhou
E-mail : jimmyzhou@bigfoot.com         ICQ : 19587415

The future is not set.  There is no fate but what we make
for ourselves.             - Terminator II, Judgement Day